Sunday, November 22, 2009

Got lazy

Well, well, someone neglected her blog. I finally managed to get busy again with my job, meeting friends, house- and job-hunting and of course travelling. So this week I visited my sister in east-Slovakia. A lovely town called Kosice. After a flight to Bratislava and a 6 hour trainride I arrived in a different world. Everything looks like having stopped in the 60s to 80s, kind of trashy and poor, the busses have a certain Sovjet-touch, the streets are bumpy, the trams have flickering lights so you are afraid of getting a seizure soon and the houses look a little depressing.


The nightlife however is suprisingly nice though different as well: the music is oldschool (80s and 90s trash), though not in the good way, but the locations are cozy (without any ventilation) and expecially the cafés are snug. I have also hardly ever seen so many ill-dyed hair in shades of light purple, red, orange and yellow-white-greyish combined with white boots. Yuck!

It is pretty weird to be in a country, in which it is difficult to communicate: I do not speak Russion or Slovakian, while they don't speak English, though sometimes hints of German. Things changed when we went to Budapest, where it was no problem at all to speak English. The weather was not the finest, but the fog somehow gave the city a certain touch. The hostel, in which we stayed was lovely (Casa de la musica) and close to the center and a few bars and coffee places. In Budapest you actually get a hot chocolate with the consistency of a hot chocolate. In Slovakia it is more like pudding, really thick and incredibly sweet. I made the typical beginner's mistake by eating the whipped cream first before I discovered the thickness of the "chocolate". I learned my lesson and the next hot chocolate with whipped cream was mixed first: by this I could actually drink it and not sup it.

The time in the East flew by so quickly, what a pity!

The outlook from my sister's kitchen window:



Kosice Business Center... Impressive, right? 


The city center, which really is beautiful:



Getting ready for nightlife:



Cosmopolitan Bar with Jenny and one of my sister's classmates:




Club Ibiza, oh yeah:




Welcome to Casa de la musica in Budapest... well and the swine flu:



Weirdest dog I have ever seen. Looked like an old mop (and smelled like one):















1 comment:

  1. Oh god!, poor your sister!. What a view from her window!!. Budapest looks amazing!!. David

    ReplyDelete